Eating bugs might be one of the latest crazes but realistically it seems to be more about shock value.
There are plenty of bug (in my case cricket) flour replacements but other than adding a bit more protein to your baking you’re not going to make those 200 calorie cookies any better for you!
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup cricket flour (this stuff isn’t cheap and we are only doing it for the shock value!)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
6 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1-2 cups chocolate chips (depending on how much you love them)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix flour, baking soda and salt together.
- In a mixer beat the butter and sugars all together until combined.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix.
- Mix in the flour, but don’t over mix (we aren’t making concrete).
- Add chocolate chips after eating a few (because who are we kidding). Use a spoon.
- Put dough into the fridge to cool, you’ll get bigger and better cookies using cold dough.
- Scoop out onto pre-lined or sprayed baking sheets. The first batch I made about 12 and the second I made 27 so it just depends on how big you want them.
- The baking times were about 10 minutes for the small and about 13 for the larger ones.
- Let them sit on the baking sheet for a few minutes and then cool for a few minutes on a wire rack. OR YOU’LL BE BITING INTO MOLTEN LAVA…..
BAKING WITH CRICKETS IS ABOUT SHOCK VALUE….WHY TAKE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES TO A PARTY WHEN YOU CAN TAKE CHIRPING COOKIES!!!